Sunday, November 11, 2012

Grocery Shopping: The Way it Should be Done

Don't hate me please. 

I have failed you, readers. I have rambled and side tracked my way out of telling you how to tackle the grocery store. Though I have found some pretty rad things to side track you with, I have not come right out and exposed you to what happens when I go to the store. 

Here's what happened when I went to Publix this weekend!

BOGO Sales: 

  • Suave Lotion ($3.29)
  • Nestle Morsels ($2.45)
  • Tyson Frozen Chicken Strips ($8.49)
  • Hall's Cough Drops ($1.57)

Not on Sale: 

  • Yakisoba Noodle Meals ($.99)
  • Publix Sweet Tea ($1.59)  

My Total For These Items Should Have Been:

  1. Suave Lotion: $3.24 x 6= $19.44
  2. Nestle Morsels: $2.45 x 2= $4.90
  3. Tyson Frozen Chicken Strips: $8.49 x 2= $16.89
  4. Hall's Cough Drops: $1.57 x 4= $6.28
  5. Yakisoba Noodle Meals: $.99 x 6= $5.94
  6. Publix Sweet Tea: $1.59

Total= $55.04 

Total After Sales= $31.24

Total After Coupons= $13.79!!!

What did I do? I combined in store sales with coupons provided in newspapers to maximize savings. Could I have waited for a sale on the Yakisoba noodles? Probably. But I'm impatient and they were only $.49 after coupons. Could I have not bough the Publix Sweet Tea? Yes, but I love sweet tea and I have had a long weekend. If I had not bought those items, my total would have been closer to $9 for everything. At the risk of confusing anyone, below I am going to tell you what coupons I used to get these deals, so you can get a better idea of how this is possible =]

Coupons Used:

  • Suave Lotion:
    • RP 10/14, $2 off of 1 Suave Product
    • BOGO Publix In Store Sale
    • For 2 Bottles Total: $6.58
      • - $2/ 1 (2) or $4/2
      • Credit Earned: $.71/2
  • Nestle Morsels
    • RP 9/9 $.50 off of 1 Nestle Morsels Product
    • BOGO Publix In Store Sale
    • For 2 Bags Total: $4.90
      • $.50/1 or $1/2
      • Price Paid: $1.54/2
  • Tyson Frozen Chicken Strips
    • SS 10/7 $.75 off of 1 Tyson Frozen Chicken Strip
    • BOGO Publix In Store Sale
    • For 2 Bags Total: $16.89
      • - $.75/1 or $1.50/2
      • Price Paid: $6.99/2
  • Hall's Cough Drop
    • SS 11/04 $1 off of 2 Hall's Drops
    • BOGO Publix In Store Sale
    • For 2 Bags Total: $3.14
      • -$1/2
      • Price Paid: $.57/2
  • Yakisoba Noodles
    • SS 10/14 $.50 off of 1 Yakisoba Noodle Product
    • Regular Price: $.99
      • -$.50/1
      • Price Paid: $.49/1
And if I did my math correctly (which I probably did not do) I saved 75%! 

My hope is that this wets your appetite a little. It really doesn't take that long, and it's such an easy thing to do. Start off small, and soon you too will be bringing home 8 bags of Halls Cough Drops!! Yayyy!!

11 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post! I really need to start calculating before I spend and start small as you said. To the grocery store I go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you get that first free item, it's all downhill from there. Trust me, it's an addiction.

      Delete
  2. Awesome. My friend just posted to Facebook how she paid $17 for $75 dollars worth of food and stuffs at Publix. I begged her to teach me her ways. But, now that you've posted on the secret art of grocery shopping couponing I don't have to annoy her with my questions. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annoy away! Plus, questions may give me ideas on what to post, lol. I'm running low on topics.

      Delete
  3. Great post! I once saved like 30% from using coupons in the grocery store. It isn't much compared to your savings but it feels really good to save especially on much needed food and household items. I always hear stories of how people save like 80- 90% after coupons, and it sounds so motivating to keep those coupons handy. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most couponers don't talk about the months it takes to get to the 80-90% savings. When you go grocery shopping for things you need, it's hard to get good deals. But, when you get to a point where you just stock up on things that are one sale, it makes life much cheaper!

      Delete
  4. I just found out Winn Dixie does a fuel card. Turns out when you buy stuff there, and swipe the card you earn gas credits. My buddy saved something like $.30 cents a gallon on his fill-ups. I called Bull, but he sent me a picture of his pump while he was filling-up. Something I thought you might get a kick out of. That and Winn-Dixie has a ton o BOGO's,,, I have no idea about their coupon policy though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reminding me about that! It's never really been explained to me what their fuel perks program is all about. I'll have to do some research, Lord knows fuel is hard to save money on!

      Delete
  5. This is neat. I love how you told us how much everything is with the comparison of the coupons. I hope you continue this blog after this semester because I'm always learning money saving tips on your posts. And when your a college student saving is important. Your blog post tend to make my life easier lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you should be on that TLC show called Extreme Couponing. Just reading your posts about your savings and deals makes me feel bad about how I shop sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these kinds of posts...as i stare hopelessly into my empty wallet. I need to start saving...this breaks it down for me. Once again, thank you!

    ReplyDelete