Friday, October 5, 2012

Save the TaTas!

Imagine a world with out boobs, tig ol' bitties, or blouse brothers. All the guys reading this just died a little on the inside and all the girls reading this just thought "What, no back pain!? Yes please!" However, both genders know that boobs are a really important part of life. And the American Cancer Society says there will be about 300,000 new cases of breast cancer in 2012 alone. It is the second most common form of cancer in US women, right behind skin cancer.

For me, breast cancer has hit home in a way that words can not really describe. In 2002, my Nonna passed away after battling breast cancer for over 10 years, it spread to the rest of her intestines and her body could no longer take it. According to doctors, because she is my grandmother, my chances of getting breast cancer at some point in my life is almost double that of a normal person. Oh, and by the way boys, you can get breast cancer too, so you are not immune (No, not just because you have man-titties)  Since her passing, I have taken a firm stance against breast cancer, and done my best to get the word out about ways we can help. 

October is National Breast Cancer Awareness month, so be prepared to see this little pink ribbon every where you look. Including my ankle, but you probably did not need to know that part. General Mills, a huge supporter of breast cancer awareness, goes above and beyond to help show their support this month in a campaign called Save Lids to Save Lives. Right now, if you go to the grocery store, you will see all of their products lined in pink. Yoplait yogurt, Hamburger Helper, Green Giant vegetables, Chex Mix, and Pillsbury dough are just some of the products that are a part of their line.When you purchase any General Mills products, like the ones listed above, you will find a way to help support breast cancer research.

What can you do with this new power and cool pink colored lid? One of two things. One, take that lid and go to the Save Lids to Save Lives website and enter in the code, if one is provided. Or you can gather them all together at once and send them to:

  • Save Lids to Save Lives
  • PO Box 44903, Atlanta, GA 30336
The deadline to get them is is June 30, 2013, so there is no reason not to get them in. And some of their products only allow you to mail them in, and not redeem codes. They do ask that you make a profile, a free one, so that you can log in and keep track of how many codes you have entered. Or, if you are lucky enough to know me in "real life", you can hand them over to me and I will gladly enter them in. 

No, really, please give them to me, don't throw them away. One person's trash is another person's chance at living. (Possibly mine ;] )

Each code turns in to 10 cents towards the $200,000 they are willing to offer Susan G Komen: For the Cure. Already, General Mills has donated $50,000 to the foundation, and your lids could help get them to the $200,000 mark. 

So, it's up to you. You can be rude and toss them in the trash. Or, you can be a champion and Save Lids to Save Lives.


11 comments:

  1. This is very touching and I commend you for making strides to help end this devastating cancer. It's great that you're raising awareness for this cause and getting others to join you. I know a woman who is a breast cancer survivor and she also spends time educating people to help bring awareness. If I purchase any GM products, I will be on the lookout for the pink and try to remember to save the lids. Keep up the good work. It's empowering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you thank you! It's awesome to see companies giving back to organizations that help touch so many lives. If sending someone trash can help someone later on down the road, I am totally down.

      Delete
  2. This is astonishing. Breast cancer truly deserves having an entire month dedicated to raising awareness. I never knew that there are so many cases of breast cancer in just ONE year. It is really heartbreaking to hear that because not only are the women/men with breast cancer affected but also their families. Using your grandmother's story and seeing the importance of spreading the information to help other women/men is very brave of you. Hats off to you. Thank you for sharing and I will definitely save the lids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone has someone in their lives that help inspire them, and she is definitely it for me. I know she is looking down on me and proud of me. For what I am accomplishing.

      Delete
  3. This is an amazing article as I too lost someone very important to me from cancer, my mother. It happened about 9 years ago and I wasnt able to do any charity walks or runs until last year. I just couldn't handle being around all that sadness. I did a walk for life relay, it was emotional, but very rewarding to give back to people in need of help. I am going to get some yoplait and give you my pink lids, thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for opening up to me. It's always good to meet people who are going through similar struggles. For both of us, it's both of us, it's been a few years that our loved ones have passed and I feel like it is important to keep their memory alive and honor them. I look forward to taking your garbage from you!

      Delete
  4. I've heard the Blues Brothers, but never of the blouse brothers! That's hilarious. But they should be sisters, right? I'm sure we could come up with an S alliteration!

    As a science researcher, I can say that research depends on funding. The more funding available the greater chances of success we have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to leave my mark on everyone I meet, and if it by using blouse brothers, then I am totally okay with it.

      Funding is huge, you're right. And, since I don't have the gift of a scientific mind, I'll keep my focus on the funding. =]

      Delete
  5. I always love your blog. I find it very empowering to be able to talk about your personal dealings with breast cancer, not many can do that. My job also donates to breast cancer awarness, our active wear department has the ribbons, and the pink shirt, the bracelet and the necklaces, I believe if i remember correctly that if you buy it the money for the item goes to the fund, or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this! I know when we talked in class the other day, you mentioned this to me. I am going to look into this a little more, because Mama needs some new clothes!!!

      Delete
  6. Haha. I love the title of this post and I definitely plan to support this cause. I have a relative that was recently diagnosed with breast cancer as well. Your story brought a tear to my eye and the mix of a joking and serious tone in this post leave me on the fence about how to feel.

    ReplyDelete